Sunday, August 16, 2020

Midtown Manhattan


I had heard that midtown Manhattan was still closed for business so I decided to head down and take a look.  
I actually had an ulterior motive.  I had seen a pic of the lions at the library wearing masks and I wanted to take a photo of them.  But alas when I arrived they were maskless.  It's probably for the best as I read that cloth can damage the sculptures.
Meanwhile midtown was pretty dead.  In fact if it wasn't for the construction workers it would have been completely empty.  But there were lots of them.  
One of Mayor Bloomberg's final acts was to rezone midtown so that the old structures there could be updated and replaced.  
Given that most NYC offices are currently figuring on a summer 2021 return this is a good time to do construction.
Of course as construction in Manhattan continues city landmarks are being swallowed up and overwhelmed by their newer flashier counterparts. 
So I figured this was a good time to get some definitive pics of Lever House.  Built in 1952, it marked the transition of Park Avenue from brick buildings to glass.  It was landmarked in 1982.  You can read more about it here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever_House

But my main goal was to shoot Grand Central Terminal from the south without getting hit by a car.  I had seen a great shot during lockdown but wasn't sure how much the traffic had picked up since then.  The answer of course was not much.
I took a few shots of the Chrysler building as I headed home.  
And one of the Citicorp Building on Lexington.
It was nice to get away from the neighborhood for a bit.

Cheers!
PJ

(c) 2020 PJ Lehrer












No comments:

Post a Comment