Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cherry Blossoms

Spring has come early to New York City this year thanks to our warmest ever January/February/March.  It was so warm in fact that even I missed winter.  And, it made me realize that I do like living in a place that experiences all four seasons. 



But, it’s been a beautiful spring.  The magnolias have come and gone and now it’s cherry blossom time. 


The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens are famous for their cherries as their collection of 220 trees is the largest one in the world outside of Japan. 


They even have a Cherry Watch Map on their website, so you can see what’s blooming before you head over.



The weeping cherries that surround the lake bloom earliest. 



There are also several weeping trees in the Cherry Esplanade. 



Just when the weeping cherries wrap up, the other types spring into action. 



I still remember visiting the gardens with my grandparents Doris & Louis when I was a child.  Here I am with my brother Ken collecting cherry blossoms circa 1966.



But, Central Park is no slouch in the cherry department either.  The Pilgrim on 72nd Street looks its prettiest when surrounded by blossoms.


And this cutie is next to the Metropolitan Museum of Art on 79th. 



But I think the most beautiful cherries in Central Park are in the Conservatory Garden on 105th Street.  They take my breath away.

Enjoy!

PJ



© 2012 PJ Lehrer

No comments:

Post a Comment