Sunday, November 20, 2016

Sherman Monument



Augustus Saint-Gaudens sculpture of General William Tecumseh Sherman was erected in Grand Army Plaza, Manhattan in 1902.  
That means it has been at the south east edge of Central Park as long as I have been around. 

I probably photographed it at some point,
but can't really remember because it wasn't particularly notable. 
So I was surprised when I recently saw it, that I couldn't take my eyes off it. 
Apparently it was regilded with 23.75 karat gold leaf in 2013.  
And now it glistens in the sunlight. 


Against the bright blue October sky it was a sight to behold. 
It almost makes you forget what a vicious man he was. 
 


Did I mention that the $2 million used to renovate the statue was raised privately by people who prefer to remain anonymous?   
C'est  la vie.
PJ

(c) 2016 PJ Lehrer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment