Sunday, June 3, 2018

Charleston 2


I was thinking about Charleston, South Carolina the other day, so I thought I would post a second set of photos.  

It’s such a pretty little harbor town.  

It was founded in 1670 and is known for its pastel antebellum houses.  

And the fact that it’s the place where the Civil War began – at Fort Sumter – on April 12, 1861.  

Sadly, these days it is also known for the shooting at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on June 17, 2015, which left nine people dead.  

I was totally blown away when the congregation forgave the shooter.  

I’m not sure I would have been so generous.  

The debate about racism following the incident led to the removal of the Confederate battle flag from the South Carolina State House on July 10, 2015. 

It was a good day.  

Too bad we haven’t seen more like it lately.

Here’s the previous blog…
Cheers!
PJ

© 2018 PJ Lehrer
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment