Sunday, September 5, 2021

Cow Parade 2021

 

When I read that NYC was having a cow parade this summer I got all excited.  


The previous cow parade in 2000 was one of my favorite outdoor art exhibits of all time.  Here's a blog about it...

https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2012/09/2000-summer-of-cows.html


This time around they made a few changes.  Instead of scattering the cows around town so you would bump into them as you were walking around the city they decided to group them together in herds.  


The rationale was that it would prevent vandalism.  Funny thing.  I didn't actually see much vandalism the last time around.  


But I guess they thought it would serve as a valid excuse for placing the cows in retail locations.  


In Manhattan they are at Hudson Yards, Bloomies and Macys.  These pics are from Hudson Yards.  


Sadly the cows pale in comparison to their predecessors.  The cows I enjoyed the most last time were the ones that broke the mode, so to speak.  


This time few did.  For the most part the cows were just one of two basic shapes with paint.  


There's nothing wrong with that per se.  It's just that the publicity for the event said that some of the cows in 2000 were not artistic enough.  So to follow that up with several that were merely painted in solid colors was baffling.  


Beyond that, walking around an empty mall is just not my idea of a good time. I think I may skip Bloomies and Macys.


Ciao

PJ

 

(c) 2021 PJ Lehrer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment