Sunday, September 18, 2022

Munich – Oktoberfest ‘98

I just read that after a two-year hiatus for Covid, Oktoberfest is back this year.
I am sure that will make lost of folks happy.
But are you surprised that Oktoberfest is actually in September? I know I was.
Before the Internet was up and running, I would reach out to local tourist bureaus’ when planning my trips abroad.
When the one in Germany sent me information about Oktoberfest I was baffled since I was planning a September visit.
But then I caught up with the history.
The first Oktoberfest was from October 12th – October 17th in 1810.
It was a celebration of the marriage of Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig to Princess Theresa of Sachsen-Hildburghausen.
It was such a big hit that they decided to make it a yearly event.
And move it to September when the weather is better. You’ve got to love that.
Enjoy!
PJ
© 2022 PJ Lehrer

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post and information. Thank you so much. Great photographs as ever some friends of ours are going this year! So I will pass this on.

    tim.bayneslond@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete