Sunday, October 2, 2022

For the Birds

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden has gone to the birds. Literally.
I’m not surprised, as I too developed a fondness for birdwatching during the phased re-openings after Covid lockdown.

Of course, I do my birdwatching at Central Park. But I could tell that BBG is just as good a spot to observe their comings and goings.

To encourage the hobby the garden commissioned a bunch of birdhouses from various artists.

When the exhibit ends on October 23rd, they will go to the highest bidders.

And to make it easier for visitors to locate the birdhouses they are handing out free maps. That’s right. Actual maps.

They do of course have an app as well. But I suspect they were thinking that many visitors would be Boomers who prefer hard copy to digital.

They were certainly right about me.

And trying to find all the houses using the map was like going on a treasure hunt. Lots of fun. Even though I couldn’t find them all.

They are also offering free birding walks on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 am – 12 pm. It could be worth checking out if you live close by.

But even if you don’t, I would recommend scheduling a visit before the exhibit ends. It is worth the trip.

Some spring blogs from Brooklyn Botanic Garden…
https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2022/04/brooklyn-botanic-garden-earth-day-2022.html

Cheers!
PJ

© 2022 PJ Lehrer

No comments:

Post a Comment