Sunday, January 29, 2012

Israel – March 1989

I was visiting my Dad last week and he brought up a funny story about the trip we took to Israel with Edward and my Mom.  Edward was constantly urging all of us to step back so he could take a photograph.  Unfortunately that wasn’t a good idea in the Golan Heights.  I knew we were in trouble when the guide yelled “Lehrers get out of the mine field!” 


But my dad’s willingness to pose meant that we came back with lots of photos of him.  This one was actually a special request.  He’s in Qumran and is pointing to the cave where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found. 

He has a 20 x 30 print of this photo on the wall.  He told me he had recently seen it in Smithsonian magazine.  It reminded me of a comment my mom’s cousin Fran and her husband Paul made when they saw it.  They wanted to know how I had managed to get a shot with no people in it.  That was a good question, because I remember the Temple Mount as being packed when we visited.


Israel is an amazing place if you love history.  This is a shot of the Via Delarosa.



And this is the manger in Bethlehem. 



This is Capernaum.  We stopped nearby for the local specialty – St. Peter’s fish.



Here’s a photo of Edward taking a photo in front of the Roman aqueduct in Caesarea. 
 



This lovely mosaic was in Tiberius. 

We stopped to take in the beaches of Tel Aviv.
And this shot of Edward on a camel was destined to become a beloved holiday card.



Finally, t
his is a drawing of the Church of the Holy Sepulture.  I drew it when we returned home based on a photo I had taken during the trip. 



Visiting Israel was an awesome experience, and I hope to go again someday.
Ciao
PJ

(c) 2012 PJ Lehrer