Sunday, September 16, 2018

Heavenly Bodies @ The Met


I have to admit I have very conflicted feelings about the Met's latest costume exhibit.  

I've never been a big fan of the Catholic Church's conspicuous consumption although I do appreciate the beauty of the churches.  

Like I said - conflicted.  

But these photos are actually of the designer duds based on the church vestments.  

What a weird idea.  Would anyone actually want to wear them?  

Some appear to have been designed to decorate statues rather than people.  
I guess that makes sense.
Meanwhile photos were not allowed of the actual vestments - which were equally opulent.

The exhibit continues at the Cloisters.  If we visit before it closes on October 8th, I will post some more photos. 

But in the meantime, I thought I'd sneak in this photo from the rearranged modern galleries.  I just loved the juxtaposition of Picasso's Nude Standing by the Sea and Brancusi's Bird in Space.  

Cheers!
PJ

(c) 2018 PJ Lehrer
 

 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment