Sunday, May 19, 2019

I.M. Pei


The great architect I.M. Pei died this week.  He was 102.  

We saw a special about him a while back and it left me convinced that I could have never been an architect.  

As I recall he discussed having to create new building materials in order to realize his vision.  

Most of his buildings in Manhattan are apartment complexes that look pretty boring so I haven't bothered to photograph them.  But outside of NYC is a different story.  This is a pic of the East Building of the National Gallery in D.C.  It as you can see is full of interesting angles.

And this is a shot of the interior of the Dallas Symphony with its beautiful curves.

The JFK library in Massachusetts is stunning.  

You can see the beauty of the lines and the majesty of the soaring glass enclosure.  

But for me it's the Louvre that will forever remind me of him, since we got to see it as both a work in progress on our visit in 1988,   

and a finished piece in 2002.  

It is well worth a trip to Paris.  Oh and the Louvre is fun too. ;-)

Goodbye to I.M. Pei.  You will be remembered.

Here are some previous Paris blogs... 



Cheers!
PJ

(c) 2019 PJ Lehrer

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment