Sunday, November 12, 2023

NYC Marathon 2023

 

With temperatures in the mid-60’s this year’s NYC Marathon was the party that the city was yearning for.


Since I have a terrific view from my apartment and I am located on the east side of the route, I usually just observe the action from my apartment – going downstairs at strategic points in time to mix it up a bit.



But after 33 years it does get a bit repetitive, so I thought I’d try something different this year, and decided to head down to 59th Street.



As anyone who runs or follows the marathon knows, when the runners leave the quiet of the 59th Street bridge and turn onto First Avenue they are hit with a wall of noise.  So I thought it would be fun to check it out.



I had a bit of trouble figuring out where would be the best place to stand.  Clearly this guy on top of the truck had it all figured out.



I did catch the women leaders as they hit the turn.



But the best part was getting a closer view of the spectator action on the street.



This drumline from Queens – Fogo Azul – was particularly impressive.  Although I did find myself thinking that if they continued to do their thing for several hours everyone in the vicinity would end up with a huge headache.



The first time I passed the water station, before the runners had reached Manhattan, I heard the team leader giving everyone a pep talk.



I wonder if the clean-up folks got one too, since they certainly had their work cut out for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment