Sunday, December 17, 2023

Santa Monica 2

I was thinking about the classic Tom Lehrer tune – “I’m Spending Hanukkah in Santa Monica” this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LslsgH3-UFU


I’ve never spent Hanukkah in Santa Monica, but I did spend the better part of the winter there once. 


I was working on the Scott’s Miracle-Gro account at the time and we went there to shot some commercials for the following spring season.


I had some time off between shooting so I put it to good use taking photos of the pier


and close-ups of nearby flowers.   


But in between photos, I was on conference calls. I remember pacing back and forth in front of this tree while I talked, or rather, begged.


The commercial included a dog jumping to catch a frisbee.  No problem if it’s your dog.  Big problem if it isn’t.  And if you want a large dog – like a Labrador retriever – not only can they not jump as high as smaller dogs can, they get tired after a few takes.  Sigh.


Luckily, I arranged for a back-up dog (only $250) since the Labrador couldn’t do it.  The director said he had shot dog food commercials that were less contentious. 


Oh well. 


The weather was glorious!


Here’s a previous blog…

https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2014/02/santa-monica.html

Cheers!

PJ

 

© 2023 PJ Lehrer 


No comments:

Post a Comment