I went over to the Guggenheim Museum last week to check out the Pop Art exhibit.
As has happened since the first time I visited back when I was in the single digits, I was more mesmerized by the building than the art.
It is so magical.
The highlight of the exhibit is Claes Oldenburg’s “Soft Shuttlecock.”
Its immense size means it probably isn’t
exhibited much and they posted an Instagram video about its arrival and
installation.
Since the exhibit includes examples of Pop Art from the 60’s to the present there’s enough of a range to provide something for everyone.
Richard Hamilton’s “The Solomon R. Guggenheim” – Spectrum, Black & Black and White.
I particularly liked this drawing by Marta Minujin “Statue of
Liberty Covered in Hamburgers.” She
envisioned this as an outdoor art piece with free lunch. More here…
https://www.guggenheim.org/artwork/33112
And this one, by Daniel Gordon “Still Life with Fish and Forsythia.”
But in my eyes, they couldn’t beat the pieces on display from the permanent collection.
Henri Rousseau’s “The
Football Players.”
And Edouard Vuillard’s – “Place Vintimille.”
But the surprise of the day was this piece. Can you guess who the artist is?
Remembering this piece from the D’Orsay in Paris, I guessed
Renoir. Wrong.
Remembering this piece from the National Gallery in London,
Edward guessed Manet. Also, wrong.
It was painted by Picasso!!!
When my mom introduced me to Picasso’s abstract work, I was
not impressed and asked why he didn’t just paint things the way that they
looked. She replied ”Because he could
already do that when he was young, so he had to do something new.”
He was 19 when he did this painting.
Moms are always right.
Here are some other modern art blogs…
https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2019/03/warhol-at-whitney.html
https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2023/10/robert-indiana.html
https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2025/02/banksy-museum.html
Cheers!
PJ



No comments:
Post a Comment