Sunday, October 7, 2012

Columbus Arrives


In honor of Columbus Day I have posted a photo of a rarity – an original acrylic painting.  In fact, this is the first acrylic painting that I have done since I was in high school.


It all started when my nephew Jeff requested an original piece of art.  For the topic he selected a seascape.  I looked at some photos of tall ships, but didn’t find any that inspired me.  Then I saw a photo of a replica of the Santa Maria – one of Columbus’s ships, and I got the idea for this painting.

It depicts Columbus’s ships – from left to right – the Nina, the Santa Maria and the Pinta arriving on North America’s shore at sunrise.  The sunrise is based on a photo I took on one of our trips to Miami when we had a balcony with a view.  It was so spectacular that I ended up getting up every day at sunrise to enjoy it and take photos.

Oh and Jeff loved the painting.

Happy Columbus Day!
PJ
 

© 2012 PJ Lehrer

No comments:

Post a Comment