Sunday, April 21, 2013

Spring in the ‘Hood


The Upper East Side of Manhattan is beautiful all year round, but never more so than in the spring. 


Around mid-March, when I think I can’t take one more day of cold weather I go on “Bud Watch.” 



That basically amounts to walking down different blocks in the neighborhood while I go about my daily errands, looking for signs of spring. 


I always breathe a sigh of relief when the first tree buds make their appearance. 


But it isn't really official until we have fluffy white trees. 


These are actually apple trees, although I have never seen them bear fruit. 


 But every spring they put on quite a show. 


They don’t bloom for long, maybe a week tops, and it’s often rainy so it’s not always easy to capture their majesty. 


But once you see them you know for sure that warmer weather is on the way. 




This beautiful specimen is across the street from my apartment.  And, I mark the seasons by it.


Ciao
PJ

© 2013 PJ Lehrer









No comments:

Post a Comment