Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Life Underground by Tom Otterness


I went to the Whitney the other day, and for the first time ever I took the "L" train to 14th and 8th. 

When I was arrived I was thrilled to see some of the bronze sculptures that are part of Tom Otterness's art display - Life Underground.  

I had stumbled on one or two pieces before on the "E" platform, which also comes into that station, 

and made a mental note that I wanted to return with my camera to capture as many as possible, 

but I never quite got back to it and then I forgot where they lived.

But a few weeks ago I saw a program about art in the subway and it included an interview with Tom.  

Apparently there are over 100 pieces in the collection.  He said he got carried away. :-) 


He also said that when he is feeling down he gets on the subway and goes to 14th and 8th to watch people interacting with his art and it always makes him smile.  

I can certainly see why.  They have the same effect on me. :-)

Cheers!
PJ
(c) 2018 PJ Lehrer
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment