Sunday, June 11, 2023

Lilacs 2

 

When I visited the Brooklyn Botanic Garden this spring the lilacs were in bloom and it smelled magnificent! 


So of course, I lingered and took the opportunity to photograph the many different types that are in residence there. 


Apparently, there are over 100 unique plants. 


 

Hmm. 


I doubt I photographed them all. 


According to their website, all of the varieties were derived from their original collection begun in 1914.   


They were relocated to a new area of the garden in 2020 overlooking the cherry trees. 


A path was added for easier access and plants were arranged by era. 


 

I hadn’t noticed that.  I was too busy checking out some of the more exotic varieties. 


Here’s an article from the website for more info…

https://www.bbg.org/article/lilacs_in_bloom_in_their_new_home#:~:text=The%20Lilac%20Collection%20is%20in,which%20was%20established%20in%201914


And, here's a previous lilac blog…

https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2015/01/lilacs.html

Enjoy!

PJ

 

© 2023 PJ Lehrer


No comments:

Post a Comment