Sunday, December 10, 2017

Crocheted Trees in Greenwich Village



The "Mad Crocheter" of Christopher Street strikes again.  

I first noticed something was going on last fall when I went down to get my coffee fix at McNulty's.  

Someone had crocheted cozies for three of the trees on a stretch of the street.  

Apparently it's called "yarn bombing."  

They were quite adorable and at the time I wondered if someone was worried that the trees might be cold.  

But when they remained throughout the summer I started to get concerned.  

Now they have been joined by a multitude of others on the street.  

And while I love their creativity, and the fact that they are color coordinated with the buildings they adorn, 

I hope that they will come down this summer to give the trees a chance to breathe again.  

And I suspect that if they don't, someone will call 311.  It is New York after all. ;-)

Cheers!
PJ

Here's a link to an article about the trees in Time Out NY.  They even used a couple of my photos, which I had posted on Instagram!!!  How cool is that?



(c) 2017 PJ Lehrer
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment