Sunday, May 17, 2020

East River Greenway 2


I had some more beautiful pics from my walk on the East River so I thought I'd post a second set.  
When I entered the esplanade on 78th Street I noticed that the school on the corner was labeled Avenue A.  
That was quite a shock as Avenue A is on the lower east side.  
But if you draw a straight line up Manhattan then York Avenue would indeed be Avenue A.  
And it once was.  
But in 1928 they changed the name in honor of Sgt. Alvin York a WWI Medal of Honor recipient.  
Gary Cooper won the best actor Oscar for playing him in the movie Sergeant York.  But it doesn't appear that he ever lived in NYC.  How odd.
Edward used to walk the river quite a bit so when I showed him the photos of all the cool new buildings he said that he had watched them going up.  
I exited the esplanade on 71st Street.  
That took me past the hospitals.  It was a sad reminder that it wasn't a relaxing day for everyone.
Hang in there NYC!

Previous blog...

Cheers!
PJ

(c) 2020 PJ Lehrer










No comments:

Post a Comment