Sunday, April 7, 2019

Jerome Robbins


Jerome Robbins is a god.  

 I've always been a big fan, as West Side Story is my favorite musical of all time. 
And I really enjoyed Jerome Robbins Broadway.  

Although I do remember thinking at the time that West Side Story was so superior to the rest that a revival of the show might be in order.  And they did just that a few years later. ;-)

Anyway the reason I am singing his praises now is because the NY Public Library at Lincoln Center just concluded a show about him.  

And that's how I found out that he wasn't just the best choreographer ever.  

He also danced, played the piano and violin, and composed music.  

Perhaps more amazing he was a terrific artist too.  

He created these fabulous diaries that just blew me away.  

And even designed some of the costumes and sets for his shows.  Incredible.  

Here's one of his Oscars with the iconic opening number from West Side Story playing in the background.  How awesome is that?

It was a great exhibit.  Sorry if you missed it. :-(
Cheers!
PJ

(c) 2019 PJ Lehrer
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment