Sunday, June 5, 2022

Green-Wood Cemetery

 

Visiting cemeteries isn't usually on my "things to do" list.  


 

But when I heard that Green-Wood in Brooklyn is a national historic site my interest picked up. 


Turns out it's the site of the Battle of Brooklyn!  That means George Washington was there. :-)


The Battle of Brooklyn was the largest battle of the Revolutionary War and the U.S. lost.  But Washington and the army escaped across the East River under the cover of darkness and lived to fight another day.


At 216 feet, Battle Hill is highest point in Brooklyn.  


 

Even though I knew that before we headed out on the R train I hadn't counted on the views which were magnificent.  


They included the Statue of Liberty, 


the Freedom Tower and lower Manhattan, 


and even The Empire State Building and midtown. 


The view is so pretty, we may have to go back to visit again in the fall.


Cheers!

PJ

 

(c) 2022 PJ Lehrer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment