Sunday, January 5, 2020

US Botanic Garden 2


Time for another flower fix from the Washington D.C. Botanic Garden. 

 I just read that the seeds and specimens that were used to grow the plants in the collection were gathered 

starting in 1838 - 1842 with the Wilkes Exploring Expedition.  

Since I am used to buying my plants in small pots it surprised me a bit to realize that some were started from seed.  

How silly of me.  

They came from as far away as New Zealand and South America.  

Neat.  

Apparently the first round of plants did not fare that well since the swampy conditions in Washington D.C. were not hospitable to most.  

That's where the specimens from afar come in. 

Clearly some of them were better suited to the conditions.

The previous blog...
Enjoy!
PJ

(c) 2020 PJ Lehrer
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment