Sunday, September 27, 2026

Lower East Side Murals – 8/26 p2

 

I had so many nice shots from my visit to the Lower East Side that a second blog was called for.

I also have some intelligence to share.



Apparently, there is a program called “100 Gates Project.”



It pairs street artists with business owners.


So that answers that question. 😉


Freeman Alley is an Instagram favorite, but frankly, I think it’s over-rated and a bit of a mess.


And it turns out that the strip of land abutting Houston Street is part of the First Street Green Cultural Park. 


 It’s a private/public alliance like Central Park,



so it has a Board of Directors who probably selects the artists.

https://www.firststreetgreen.org/about


But it’s pretty clear that murals have become a neighborhood thing.


Here are the previous blogs from the Lower East Side…

https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2026/09/les-murals-august-2026.html

https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2025/09/les-murals.html

And a couple of others featuring street art…

https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2017/12/crocheted-trees-in-greenwich-village.html

https://pj-studio.blogspot.com/2015/12/hudson-yards-subway-station.html

Enjoy!

PJ

© 2026 PJ Lehrer


No comments:

Post a Comment